Friday, February 27, 2009

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright...

While I am undoubtedly enamored of the anything even remotely horsey, I am not, and pardon the pun here, a one trick pony. There has nearly always been a cat in my life and I've always been fascinated by the powerful beauty of lions and jaguars and tigers (oh my!). The plight of these amazing big cats is tragic, but in parts of the world where people lead incredibly difficult lives, it is hard to advocate for animals. That said, some of the preserves in Asia are finding ways to foster situations where the local populations find ways to earn a living through big cat based tourism and the like. It's all about balance, I suppose, like everything else in the world. Take a look at this wonderful piece on the Royal Bengal tigers of the Sundarbans Tiger Preserve from The New Yorker. It is part of a short film documentary being made and it's quite beautifully done.


No comments: