Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Shock of What Happened, Or The Ache For What Never Will

 When I found these photographs a week or so ago, I wasn't sure if I wanted to even look through them let alone share them. And then when I decided to post them there was the issue of adding some narrative, which I liked even less. The photographs themselves say everything better than I could and therefore I'll be uncharacteristically brief. Love each other. Really. That's it. Love each other and be kind to others whenever you can. And tell the people that you love that they matter. Don't assume they know. Tell them.

I recently read a beautifully written book by Simon Van Booy entitled Everything Beautiful Began After. It's rare that I take time to copy or memorize sentences from books anymore, but a few lines were heartbreakingly authentic, and in this instance, timely.

"You were unsure which pain is worse--the shock of what happened or the ache for what never will."

The Connecticut 9-11 memorial wall

The ghosty image from the SI Ferry...how
the Towers will forever remain in my memory.

3 comments:

glenn amundsen said...

Without question one of your most moving posts. "The shock of what happened,Or the ache for what nEver
Will" says it all very elequently. And will take your good advice to Love every one.
Love
Glenn Amunsen (your father)

sid fernando said...

thanks, MLA

The Paper Tyger said...

Thanks for the comments, Dad and Sid :)